HURL presents an afternoon of Taster Lectures at the Dock, Carrick on Shannon, Wed 17th February.
Home University Roscommon Leitrim (HURL) presents an open day in conjunction with World Community Arts Day on Wednesday the 17th of February in the Dock Arts Center, Carrick on Shannon.
The program of events will provide an afternoon of stimulus for the mind. HURL resident professors and guests will provide a series of taster lectures and starting points for future discussion and collaborations.
“Taster Lectures” will run in 10 minute segments starting at 3:30. Some of the topics which will be covered are
- “Understanding Film” with Professor Colin McKeown”
- “Random Acts of Secret Art” with Professor Natalia Beylis
- “Local History” with Professor John Cronogue
- “Collected Inspirations” by Professor Dominic Stevens
- “Deeper Into Nothing” by Professor Stephen Rennicks
- “A Reading from Thoreau’s Walking” by Professor Willie Stewart
- “Research as Part of Practice” by Professor Dan Chester
amongst others. Anyone and everyone is invited to come along and either simply listen or participate in general discussions.
This will be followed by a two hour interactive workshop on “Rethinking Suburban Housing Estates” facilitated by Professor Carol Anne Connelly and Professor Dominic Stevens. The workshop will allow participants to explore the full potential of “ghost estates.” The workshop will run from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Please note, places in this particular workshop are limited and prior booking is essential. Contact Professor Connelly 087-7452586.
World Community Arts Day is an international undertaking now in its fourth year. It is billed as a day to “Be creative about an issue that you believe promotes caring and sharing.” For more information visit the webhub at http://www.communiversity.org.uk/worldcommunityartsday.htm.